Making a gum paste recipe is something decorators who want to create stunning flowers and other figures are likely to attempt at some point. Though you can purchase premade gumpaste that only requires tinting and kneading, it is helpful to have made the confection once or twice to understand how to work with it. I personally use Satin Ice gum paste. They make a great product that is fairly priced, has a great shelf life and consistency.
For all of you out there that want to try it out at home here is my make at home recipe.
Yield: 1 lb. – 8 oz.
Confectioner’s Sugar, sifted 2 #
Gum Tragacanth 50 g
Gelatin 15 g
Water to bloom 4 oz.
Glucose 94 g
Total amount 2 lb. 8 oz.
- Bloom gelatin in water for 5-10 minutes, melt over a water bath, add the glucose and shortening. Warm until all the shortening melts. Mixture should be hot..
- In a 5 quart bowl, sift together the sugar and the gum tragacanth, and add the gelatin mixture all at once and mix until it comes together.
- Mix on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Right consistency should be soft but not wet.
- Remove from machine quickly knead it together, rub surface with a small amount of shorting and wrap tightly in plastic twice.
Good Luck and Happy Decorating!!